Monday, September 10, 2007

Seventeen hours and 1,000 miles later






(K) Wow. That was hard. I'm pretty exhausted so here are my thoughts in bullet form:
-America looks the same from Pennsylvania through Tennessee
-Trucks are mean and I hate them
-Driving stick is really easy once you're on the highway
-Chick-Fil-A is a wonderfully progressive company (they use trans-fat free peanut oil!) that makes one tasty chicken sandwich
-People South of the Mason-Dixon line like to call me "ma'am"
-Nashville, TN does not have affordable hotels
-Driving into a new time zone is pretty cool

All in all, it was a good day, until about an hour ago when we struggled to find a hotel in Nashville. The highlight of my day was getting dinner at a Chick-Fil-A in the Bristol Mall in Bristol, VA (see pictures).

(R) It was an easy 1000 miles except for the first and last 40 or so. Hit some traffic early on-sucked. The first highlight of my day was Pat Garrett's Sheepskin outlet--for all your sheepskin needs. Huge billboards with Pat and a female model draped in fluffy hairy skin. Check out the website, it doesn't disappoint-- http://www.sickafus.com/. The other was Chick-fil-A. It happend to be in a mall on the Virginia/Tennessee boarder...we went in at 7:30 pm and there was like no one there, the mall was practically empty. The workers were super polite they called K 'ma'am' but somehow 'sir' didn't come my way. No matter how old I get, I never get 'sir.' They did ask how I was doing, though. The chicken sandwhich was super tasty...very basic but tasty, deep friend in my friend, peanut oil. Lastly, we were paying attention (actually writing down) all the state license plates we saw...the total tally for the first day on the road was 35 states and 2 provences (for you canooks). Tomorrow...Memphis.

5 comments:

Vicky said...

Chick-Fil-A's official statement of corporate purpose says that the business exists "to glorify God by being a faithful steward of all that is entrusted to us and to have a positive influence on all who come in contact with Chick-fil-A."

so i think you should be all set for the rest of the trip after such a divine chicken patty sammich.

Stuart said...

17h & 1000 miles... You should get a trophy or something.

Is it too late? or can you swing back and pick me up a little something made of sheepskin. I just love the way it feels against my naked skin.

Unknown said...

I'm very impressed by the driving. But really if you haven't bought magnets for all these states Dad might not let you come back home.

shannon said...

he ma'am and sir wow i am impressed that is awesome nice timing i agree with col that if u dont have any magnets yet.....shame on you!!!! well keep us posted love shan

The Jello Sound said...

That sheepskin outlet is awesome. I browsed their website and it looks like they've got lots of cool stuff, definitely some possibilities to complement my buckskin vest with fringe and sheepskin duster. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for a sheepskin onesie for my 8-month old. I left the store a message seeing if they sell T-shirts advertising their store, but no response yet.